Wednesday, November 14, 2007

More thoughts on the fruit of the Spirit

Thanks Erin for reminding me of the ninth fruit....it is gentleness! So, my mind and heart are still grappling with the fruit of the Spirit. What hit me seems very obvious but it was a significant observation that effected how I approach each day. I cannot aquire the fruit of the Spirit by reading about them or even sitting and contemplating each of them--though I wish that were the case--but indeed the only way that I can bear the fruit of the Spirit is to use the fruit in the midst of life. So in essence, when I am pressed if I am walking in that moment by the Spirit then I press into His life and bear fruit but I can only learn to do this if I have situations in my life that require me to display the fruit of the Spirit. Really then it comes down to two things; walking by the Spirit because only then can I press into life, strength and resources greater than myself, and two, having opportunities to display the fruit. I think this realization has changed the way I pray and the way I perceive the events in my life.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is exactly what we were talking about tonight in my small group, but also speaking about the spiritual gifts of prophecy, words of wisdom, healing, interpretation, etc. (those things could open a different can of worms, but track with me on this) So, if I am wanting to use these gifts, instead of praying for the gift of prophecy, pray for the opportunities to use them. And then, we must step out in faith to use them and grow in them.